Since two of my hobbies were restoring cars and cork art, I decided to combine them!… after all, I had a lot of corks to use up! So after completely restoring a beat up BMW Isetta, I decided to finish it off by covering it with corks. At the time I didn’t anticipate the challenge ahead!
Corking a car is by far the most difficult. I try to follow the body lines of the car as much as possible, but the surface is never flat and the lines are constantly changing. I use a Dremel tool to shape some of the corks to lie flat. Working around door handles and tail lights is particularly challenging. I usually find it best to make a row of corks around the tail light, then bring the corks following the body lines directly into the row of corks.
Another challenge is to get the corks to fit the exact space you are filling in. If the space requires a row of five corks, they must come out exact or you would have to split the last row and that doesn’t look good. When I’m doing that sort of thing, I start measuring when I have four or five rows left. For example, if the space is 124mm, I would probably divided it into six rows, mark them with a marker to make sure that as I was closing in on the proper spacing.
I would have to say, with over 5 years experience and very little competition in this field, I think I could possibly be the world’s top expert in the craft of corking cars!